Monday, December 6, 2010

For all you Californians

Well, I've been in Uganda 6 days now so this post is long over due. Since the moment I stepped foot on to the plane heading straight for good ol' LAX I knew that writing this was not only a desire of mine, but a necessity. It's necessary for me to take the time to write about the importance of community and the blessing it has been in my life. I don't speak of necessity as if it's a burden to my time or as if it's something that I HAVE to do, but after dedicating a week to a community that can't be described as anything other than spell-binding - I feel that each day spent with out writing a proper 'Thank You' would just be terrible manners... and quite frankly almost an insult to such community.



I just realized that if you read that last bit with a English accent it will sound much more fitting.



Anyways!... So I made it. I finally made my way back the place that fed me such beautiful instability in my way of viewing the world. The only place I've ever been tempted to call home after only 2 weeks. The place that I've considered my lifeline to sanity (or what many of you have once viewed as insanity) for the past two and a half years: Jinja, Uganda! and for the first time in all my my visits here - I miss home.

It's cliche and can be a total cop-out, but honestly, after a spending a week back in Danville I realized the full extent of the importance of these people in my life. Now, people have been telling me for years that I will barely keep in touch with friends from high school and I approached the first three years of my high school career with that attitude that reflected those words, but after witnessing many other high school and post high school communities I realized that there was something special to mine. My life hasn't really ever been considered a path of stability - mostly of my own doing... actually... completely of my own doing, but anyways, through all this all-over-the-place-ness that is my life I can rest in knowing that those crazy Californians will always provide a place to call home. There is a strength in both integrity and in unity through out my group of friends back home that I find to be very unique (and that's also coming from some outsiders perspectives too) and that will never go unappreciated. So, in every sense of the phrase - thank you, Danvillites for being the best/strongest/most unique/most definitely most ridiculous community I've ever had the blessing of being a part of. I could sit here for hours ranting my insane love and respect for ya'll.



www.axisofdville.com/thatincludesanyoneindanvilleiveeverthrownafrisbeewith/thatsalotoffreakinpeople.hellamobbinfornightsdays.hella/imissyallmorethanamberwouldmisspeoplecallingherprettyiftheystoppedformorethanfiveminutes.



Also! I want to make a big shout out to our favorite Lebanese wonders of the world and Mamma and Pappa bear and all their atterbear cubs - I couldn't be more thankful for ya'll being gracious enough to host me as a part of your families last week. If there's anything you need from me - do not hesitate for an instant to let me know how I can be of service. I'll always be there for ya'll in whatever you need just as you have been for me. If any of you lovely readers ever cross paths with a member of either of these two families - just attack them with a hug and say it's from me.

3 comments:

  1. what about me being pretty??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phil,
    --Fun to find your blog.
    Hope all is well with you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful things you said about your friends. That is a gift to them, for sure.

    ReplyDelete